Vegetarian Thai CurrySubmitted by: HMATTAX
IntroductionBasic home potato and bean curry w/light coconut milk base. Can be altered to add other proteins and veggies, omit fish sauce. Curry powder can be substituted for the fresh/ground individual spices. Basic home potato and bean curry w/light coconut milk base. Can be altered to add other proteins and veggies, omit fish sauce. Curry powder can be substituted for the fresh/ground individual spices.
1 can lite coconut milk
2 cans garbanzo or other beans, drained
2-3 sweet potatoes, sliced thinly
2-3 white or yellow potatoes, sliced thinly
1 onion, diced
1 10oz. bag frozen peas
1 Tbs. Olive oil
1 Tbs. minced garlic
1/2 Tbs. Thai Kitchen Red Curry Paste
1-2 Tbs. Fish Sauce (For vegan/vegetarian--omit)
2 Tbs. Brown Sugar
salt to taste
2 Bay Leaves
2 cups water
----spices--- (or use 4 Tbs mild/medium curry powder)
1 Tbs. Coriander seeds
1 Tbs. Cardamom seeds
1 Tbs. Tumeric
1 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. celery salt
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 to 1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/4-1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
2. Add onions and oil to a large pot. Cook till onions are turning translucent.
3. Add ground spices, garlic, and all potatoes to onions and oil and stir to coat.
4. Add 1 c. water to pot and cover, turning heat to medium and allow potatoes to cook.
5. Once potatoes are partially cooked (about 15 minutes at my high altitude) add in coconut milk, bay leaves, and both cans of beans.
6. Add in fish sauce (if using), curry paste, and brown sugar to pot and stir to combine well.
7. Simmer, covered, till potatoes are almost done (another 10-20 minutes) stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
8. Add peas and bring back to a simmer.
9. Serve--with or without rice.
Serving Size:┬ámakes about 7 1.5 cup servings