- Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 203.5
- Total Fat: 0.4 g
- Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
- Sodium: 368.4 mg
- Total Carbs: 44.7 g
- Dietary Fiber: 13.4 g
- Protein: 11.7 g
Blackeyed Peas with Swiss Chard and MushroomsSubmitted by: PATTK1220
IntroductionIn this dish, the wonderful flavors of the blackeyed peas and mushrooms are highlighted by the addition of Swiss chard. In this dish, the wonderful flavors of the blackeyed peas and mushrooms are highlighted by the addition of Swiss chard.
1 pound button mushrooms (or any variety), chopped
1 bunch Swiss chard, leaves cut into ribbons and stalks chopped into small pieces (about the size of the onion chop)
1 pound dried blackeyed peas (or equivalent frozen or canned)
1 - 2 Tbsp oil (may substitute veggie broth or water)
1 onion, medium to fine chop
3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
pinch red pepper flakes, or to taste
COOK'S NOTES: For extra deliciousness, add some Liquid Smoke to the peas as they cook.
CAUTION: Don't salt the peas before or during cooking. They won't get tender. There are other schools of thought about this, but I choose not to salt until the peas are cooked and tender.
Serve with artisan bread if desired. Have your favorite hot sauce available to add at the table.
2. Set peas aside after cooking. Peas may be cooked and refrigerated 1 - 2 days in advance of making the rest of this dish.
3. In a stockpot over medium heat, saute onion and chard stalks (not leaves) in 1 Tbsp oil, broth, or water until the onion is almost translucent. Add red pepper flakes and garlic. Saute until garlic is fragrant but not brown (It will be bitter if browned).
4. Remove onion mixture and place in bowl.
5. Add remaining oil to stockpot; then add chopped mushrooms. Saute over medium low heat until they have given up most of their moisture, 5 - 10 minutes.
6. Remove mushrooms from pot and place in a bowl. Set aside.
7. Return onion mixture to stockpot. Strain blackeyed peas from the cooking water, and add to onion mixture. If the mixture is too dry, add 1/4 - 1/2 cup of the pea cooking water. This is not a soup, so be sparing with added moisture. Stir gently. Add Swiss chard (do not stir into the pea mixture).
8. Cover stockpot and cook on medium low heat for 15 - 20 minutes, until chard has wilted. If the peas were cooked in advance and are still cold, this will take longer.
9. Add cooked mushrooms. Gently stir mixture after the Swiss chard has wilted. Leave covered on low heat for 2 - 4 minutes, until mushrooms are the same temperature as the rest of the dish.
10. Season with salt to taste, if desired.
11. Serve hot in soup plates or bowls.
Serving Size: Makes 8 1-cup servings