- Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 190.7
- Total Fat: 4.3 g
- Cholesterol: 28.0 mg
- Sodium: 751.3 mg
- Total Carbs: 26.2 g
- Dietary Fiber: 3.9 g
- Protein: 12.6 g
Turkey Sausage, Potato, and Kale SoupSubmitted by: IMAB13
IntroductionThis tastes similair to a soup I ate at an italian restaurant called Zuppa Tosccana but, without the heavy cream :)))
*Can be made in a Crock pot! This tastes similair to a soup I ate at an italian restaurant called Zuppa Tosccana but, without the heavy cream :)))
*Can be made in a Crock pot!
-3-4 Fresh Turkey Sausage links - remove casings and tear/chop into small pieces (Pepper and Onion or Italian)
-1 medium or large sized onion diced
-1 cup celery diced
-1 cup peeled carrots diced
-2 to 3 cloves of garlic minced
-3 large (or 5-6 small) potatoes scrubbed and chopped into
1" pieces- I leave the skin on (you can do this step while the soup is simmering)
-2 boxes of low sodium chicken stock (equals 8 cups)
-1 tablespoon of fresh thyme (1 heaping tsp of dry)
-2 cups of shredded Kale (sometimes I use 3 cups)
-2 tablespoons of flour
-a few shakes of red pepper flakes (depending on how spicy you like it)
-PAM cooking spray (you can use oil-but it will add to the fat)
-salt and pepper to taste
You can use dried thyme but fresh makes this soup amazing! This goes well with crusty bread and a salad.
2) To the sausage drippings spray more PAM and add onions, celery, and carrots and sweat veggies for a few minutes on med high heat.
3) Turn heat down to medium and add garlic, red pepper, and salt and pepper to taste (I add about 1/2 tsp of pepper and a dash of salt).
4) Cook for a minute and then add flour and cook for another min or two.
5) Add the stock in a box and turn the heat back to high and stir.
6) At this time add the cooked sausage, kale, and thyme and bring to a boil.
7) When boiling reduce heat to a med/low simmer and simmer for 30 min.
8) Add potatoes and cook them on a medium/low heat till they are tender - about 30 minutes (you might want to bring the heat back up to a boil before you add the potatoes).
********This is an awesome crock pot recipe!!!! - if you are doing it in the crock pot complete steps 1-5 and then add all ingredients in the crock (including potatoes) and cook 5hrs on high or 8 hrs on low!!!
Serving Size: serves 10 hungry people
Number of Servings: 10
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user IMAB13.