Christmas Glazed hamSubmitted by: HJESS19
Introductiontweaked from recipe on http://www.deliciousmagazine.c
o.uk/recipes/glazed-ham- to allow for gluten free tweaked from recipe on http://www.deliciousmagazine.c
o.uk/recipes/glazed-ham- to allow for gluten free
1.5kg smoked gammon joint
1 litre dry cider
1 onion, halved
2 tsp black pepper
2 tbsp dijon mustard
4 tbsp soft light brown sugar or demerara sugar
1/2 cup honey
Per serving: 313kcals, 12.9g fat (4.6g saturated), 37.1g protein, 12.8g carbs, 11.5g sugar, 4.2g salt
2. Drain, pour over the cider and enough cold water to cover the joint, and add the onion, pepper, thyme, parsley and corriander. Bring to the boil, then turn down the heat and simmer for 20 minutes per kg. Drain, saving the stock for another day. Leave to cool.
3. Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°/gas 4. Once the gammon has cooled, peel off the skin. Use a sharp knife to slice under the skin and lift it off, slicing the fat underneath to free it. Make sure you leave a 1cm-thick layer of fat over the gammon. Score the fat to make diamond shapes.
4. Mix the mustard and sugar together with 1-2 tbsp hot water to make a thick paste, cool a little and then spread over the top of the joint.
5. Place the gammon on a rack in a roasting tin, half fill the tin with water (this stops the meat drying out) and bake for 35 minutes in the oven. Turn the oven up to 200°C/ fan180°C/gas 6.
6. Spread the top of the joint with the honey and bake for 20 minutes more, until it is a rich, golden colour on top. Remove from the oven and rest for 10 minutes before serving.
Serving Size: makes 12 slices