- Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 288.5
- Total Fat: 14.2 g
- Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
- Sodium: 1,855.3 mg
- Total Carbs: 35.7 g
- Dietary Fiber: 6.7 g
- Protein: 7.1 g
Creamless Cream of Potato Soup (Vegan)Submitted by: SHAKINGTHETREE
IntroductionWinter is the time for thick, hot soup... and I make this recipe as a way to get the heartiness of cream soup WITHOUT the fat and calories. :) Winter is the time for thick, hot soup... and I make this recipe as a way to get the heartiness of cream soup WITHOUT the fat and calories. :)
-One head of cauliflower, chopped
-5 russett potatoes, cubed, skin on
-6 tablespoons olive oil
-1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
-1 leek, sliced (cut the tough bits off)
-4 cups vegetable broth
-Salt, to taste
-Pepper, to taste
-BacOs (optional - and yes, they are VEGAN!)
TIP: When I liquefy (and I mean LIQUEFY) the cauliflower mixture, I also add some of the cubed potatoes, which should be pretty soft by the time your cauliflower/onion mixture has cooked down. Gives the soup a "baked potato soup" kind of texture.
2) Put chopped cauliflower and onions in a medium pot with the olive oil on medium heat... simmer it down until it's all soft. You can add a little salt here to help that process.
3) When the cauliflower and onion mixture is softened, put it all in a blender, add some of the veg broth right out of the pot (about a half-cup). Liquefy the mixture. And I mean LIQUEFY it. If you think you haven't done enough liquefying, do another minute of liquefying.
4) Add liquefied cauliflower and onion mixture to potatoes and veg broth already simmering away. Stir well.
5) Add sliced leeks to the mixture, reduce heat to medium low, let simmer for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add salt/pepper to taste.
6) Serve! Add BacOs for garnish, if you want.
Serving Size: Makes six decent-size bowls of soup - about 2 cups each
Number of Servings: 6
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user SHAKINGTHETREE.