Mediterranean Mushroom SoupSubmitted by: BRM2010
IntroductionBouncing with flavor Bouncing with flavor
4 C vegetable broth, or water
1/4 onion, large; finely chopped
7 oz portabello or shitake mushrooms
2 TBS EVOO
1 tomato, peeled and finely diced
3 bread slices, thin and toasted
3 almonds, ground
1 clove, ground
1/4 tsp salt
pinch of saffron (back-up = smaller pinch of turmeric)
2 TBS reserved vegetable broth or water
2. Cook EVOO in large soup pot, then add mushrooms.
3. Allow to cook for a few minutes then add onion.
4. When onion becomes nearly translucent, add tomato and continue to cook for approximately 5-8 minutes.
5. Add broth/water. Wait for it to boil.
6. Add toasted bread slices and salt. Cook for 15 mintues on medium-low.
While soup is cooking, make picada.
Grind almonds, garlic, salt and saffron then add to reserved broth.
Add picada to soup.
Serving Size: Approximately 6 cups
Number of Servings: 5
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user BRM2010.