- Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 5,908.6
- Total Fat: 98.6 g
- Cholesterol: 565.1 mg
- Sodium: 3,086.9 mg
- Total Carbs: 1,046.7 g
- Dietary Fiber: 26.2 g
- Protein: 122.9 g
New Orlean's BeignetsSubmitted by: VEHAMILTON1
IntroductionSubstituting the granulated sugar with Splenda- Sugar Blend for Baking will lower the calories. Substituting the granulated sugar with Splenda- Sugar Blend for Baking will lower the calories.
1 Package of Instant Active Dry Yeast
1 1/2 c Water
7 c All Purpose flour
1/2 c Splenda- Sugar Blend for Baking
1t Kosher Salt
2 Egg room temperature and beaten
1/4 c Butter
1 c Evaporated Milk
1/2 t Pure Vanilla Extract
1/2 c Confectioners Powdered Sugar
Canola oil for frying
The dough can be covered and kept refrigerated for 1 week or cut into shape and frozen until ready to use.
1. Pour a package of dry yeast into 1 1/2 cups of lukewarm water. Let it dissolve until you are ready to use it.
2. Whisk the eggs together in a small bowl. Cover and let them warm to room temperature.
3. Let the butter soften to room temperature.
1. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the milk, water & yeast, eggs and vanilla extract.
3. Mix in 4 cups of the flour and beat until smooth.
4. Mix in the butter.
5. Add the remaining 3 cups of flour.
6. When dough is mixed, cover with plastic wrap, and chill. Refrigerate for 3 to 4 hours or overnight.
7. Remove dough from the refrigerator and roll out on a lightly floured surface to 1/2-inch thickness. Cut into approximately 2 1/2 to 3-inch squares or circles.
8. Heat oil in a deep fryer or large pot to 360° F or 180° C. Monitor the temperature using a deep fat thermometer.
**Check the temperature during cooking. If the oil gets too hot, turn the heat off until the temperature is corrected.**
9. Fry the beignets 3 at a time for 2-3 minutes on one side. Turn them over once or twice with tongs until they are puffed and evenly golden brown on both sides.
**The beignets will rise to the surface of the hot oil as soon as they are dropped in. If they do not rise to the top immediately, the oil is not hot enough. **
10. Remove the beignets from the hot oil. Drain on paper towels.
11. Sprinkle powdered sugar over the hot beignets. Serve warm and enjoy!