Not Chicken Pot PieSubmitted by: MISSIFISH
IntroductionThis is a vegetarian version of a favorite comfort food - chicken pot pie. This one is topped with biscuits instead of a pastry crust. This is a vegetarian version of a favorite comfort food - chicken pot pie. This one is topped with biscuits instead of a pastry crust.
Pot pie filling:
1 T olive oil
6 pieces Quorn Naked cutlets*
2 T butter
3 stalks celery - chopped
4 carrots - chopped
3 cloves garlic - minced
1/2 t tarragon
1 t basil
4 T flour
4 c vegetable broth
7 cups frozen vegetables (I used a mix of broccoli, peas, corn and green beans)
salt and pepper to taste
*can use boneless, skinless chicken breasts if you aren't vegetarian, but it will have more calories and fat.
Biscuit topping (see also "Almost Buttermilk Biscuit" recipe by user Missifish)
3 c flour
1 T sugar
1 T baking powder
1 t salt
1 t baking soda
2 ounces butter
2 ounces reduced-fat feta cheese
4 ounces low fat cream cheese
1 cup rice dream (or lowfat milk)
1 T lemon juice
Uses "Almost buttermilk biscuit" recipe from user "missifish", but you won't be able to fit all the biscuits in, so the calorie count here is actually a little high. I used 18 of the 24 biscuits in mine.
I made the servings based off of the number of biscuits, but you'll likely eat more than one biscuit's worth. This just makes it easier to calculate how much you are actually eating.
I make the biscuit dough first, but leave it in the food processor. I roll and cut them out when I'm waiting for the pot pie sauce to thicken.
1. In a large, oven proof saute pan or casserole, heat olive oil over medium heat.
2. Add quorn cutlets, salt and pepper to taste, and cook evenly on both sides until lightly brown. Remove quorn and cut into small chunks.
3. Add butter back into the saute pan. Melt, then add celery and carrots. Cook for a few minutes until they begin to soften, then add garlic, tarragon, and basil. Cook and stir a few minutes more.
4. Add flour to vegetables. Cook until flour is no longer visible as white powder.
5. Add vegetable broth, and bring to a simmer. Simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes.
6. Add the frozen veggies to the pan, and cook until thawed. The sauce should be warmed through and bubbling.
Make Biscuits for topping:
1. In the bowl of a food processor, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.
2. Cut the butter into pats, and drop it in to the dry ingredients, along with the feta and cream cheeses.
3. Process for a few seconds until the largest bits of butter are about the size of a quarter of a pea.
4. Add the lemon juice to the rice dream or milk. Allow to sit for a few minutes, then, while pulsing the food processor, add to the rest of the ingredients. Pulse until everything is moistened, but not gummy. The dough should be pebble-y.
5. Turn out on to a lightly floured board, and roll out to 3/4 in thick. Cut into 24 squares.
Top the pot pie:
1. Put 18 of the biscuits on top of the pot pie filling. (You can cook the other 6 on a cookie sheet in the oven when you cook the pot pie).
2. Put entire saute/casserole into a 450 degree oven and cook for 15 minutes or until the biscuits are lightly golden brown.
3. Remove from oven, cool slightly, serve, and ENJOY!
Serving Size: Makes 18 servings