- Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 110.6
- Total Fat: 2.3 g
- Cholesterol: 3.1 mg
- Sodium: 230.3 mg
- Total Carbs: 20.4 g
- Dietary Fiber: 0.2 g
- Protein: 2.6 g
Boston Cream Pie Cupcakes - LISAINMSSubmitted by: LISAINMS
IntroductionAmazingly delicious for 110 calories each! Photo shows cupcakes in progress. Amazingly delicious for 110 calories each! Photo shows cupcakes in progress.
1 Duncan Hines Angel Food Cake Mix
1-1/4 cups water
1 pkg Jell-o FF/SF Cheesecake Instant Pudding
1-1/2 cups nonfat milk
1/4 cup chocolate chips, semisweet
1 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp half and half
Nutrition data is calculated on using 16 of the cupcakes from the batch and all of the cream and chocolate in the recipe.
I use Ghiradelli Bittersweet Chocolate. You get a lot of chocolate for your calories.
The cupcake pans are not greased because the batter needs the surface to "climb". Greased = flat. I have not tried using cupcake liners because I fear the paper would stick terribly to the cake and when you serve, they may completely fall apart. Next time I will throw a few papers in the cups and report back on how that works.
2. Mix Angel Food mix according to directions: Beat mix and water on low for 30 seconds, on medium for 1 min.
3. Pour batter into UNGREASED cupcake pans. You will make 24 cupcakes, but only use 16 for this recipe.
Bake on middle rack for about 18 minutes. The tops should be nicely browned and the cracks should feel dry to the touch. Do not underbake!
4. Remove from oven and prop the pans on their side to prevent deflating. Allow cupcakes to cool completely before removing by carefully running an offset spatula or knife under the edge of the top (all the way around) then slipping it down the cup to help lift out the cake.
Move to a rack or platter while you work.
5. While the cupcakes are baking make your Cream filling by whisking the pudding mix into the cold milk. Refrigerate until thick and ready for assembly.
6. Fill a pastry bag (fitted with a large opening tip) with the Cream filling. If you don't have a pastry bag and tips, you can use a ziplock baggie with the corner snipped, but you will have to poke a hole in your cupcake since you don't have a tip to do that.
7. Hold a cupcake in one hand and the pastry bag in the other. Poke the tip 1/2" into the cupcake and squeeze some Cream into it. You want about 1-1/2 Tbsp of Cream in each cupcake. You will feel the cupcake become heavy. Back the tip out as you squeeze and do not overfill or it will squish out the sides. Repeat for remaining cupcakes. I filled 16 with the batch of Cream.
8. Put chocolate chips, butter & half and half in a small microwaveable bowl. Microwave on high 1 min. Stir. Continue with additional 20 second intervals until completely melted. How long it takes depends on your microwave power. If the bowl gets hot then you need to let it sit and the temperature will melt the chocolate. You may add another Tbsp of half and half if you want to use a chocolate drizzle. This makes a thick ganache.
9. Using a spoon, top each cupcake with a dollop or drizzle of chocolate.
10. Refrigerate until 30 minutes before serving time. Bringing them to room temperature will soften the chocolate.
Serving Size: makes 16 cupcakes