- Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 150.9
- Total Fat: 3.8 g
- Cholesterol: 13.8 mg
- Sodium: 592.4 mg
- Total Carbs: 21.6 g
- Dietary Fiber: 5.1 g
- Protein: 8.6 g
Whole Grain Pasta with Vegetables and Chicken Feta Spinach SausageSubmitted by: MCMLXIV
IntroductionThis is a hearty, healthy, whole grain pasta dish that is loaded with veggies and a little bit of healthy sausage. Can easily substitute other veggies and/or turkey kielbasa for any of the ingredients This is a hearty, healthy, whole grain pasta dish that is loaded with veggies and a little bit of healthy sausage. Can easily substitute other veggies and/or turkey kielbasa for any of the ingredients
1 box of Whole Grain Penne Rigata (13.25 oz)
1 can of Diced Tomatoes with Basil, Garlic & Oregano
2 links of Feta Cheese & Spinach Chicken Sausage
1 whole medium onion, chopped
2-4 garlic cloves
1 cup chopped broccoli
1 whole eggplant (peeled)
1 package of mushrooms (use sliced to save time)
1 tbsp of olive oil
Basil (dried or fresh, to taste)
Parsley (dried or fresh, to taste)
Oregano (dried or fresh, to taste)
Salt (to taste)
Pepper (to taste)
Red Pepper flakes (to taste)
This is a very flexible recipe. Try subsituting other veggies in season (e.g., kale in the fall, yellow sqash in summer) and other types of chicken sausage or even turkey kielbasa. Tofu also can be used to make it a purely vegetarian meal
2. While the eggplant is broiling, bring water to a boil and begin chopping your onion, garlic
3. Meanwhile, pour approx 1 tsp of oil into a small pan and brown the sausage on medium heat per instructions (approx 12-14 minutes)
3. As the sausage is browning, use another large skillet to saute the onion.
4. After a few minutes, add the chopped broccoli.
5. After another couple of minutes, add the garlic and sliced (or diced) mushrooms.
6. After a few more minutes add the cooked, diced eggplant and the can of diced tomatoes. Heat through.
7. Meanwhile, drain the pasta when it is finished and add a little olive oil to it to keep it from sticking.
8. Remove the browned sausages to plate, and blot off any excess oil. Chop each one into approximately 7 slices, and cut each slice in half.
9. Toss all ingredients together and adjust seasonings as desired.
10. Add parmesan cheese if desired.
Serving Size: 1.5 cups