Simple Roasted TurkeySubmitted by: TABBYKAT75
IntroductionSimple, perfect roast turkey just like grandma used to make. The flavors of the turkey really stand out. Stuff with your favorite dressing Simple, perfect roast turkey just like grandma used to make. The flavors of the turkey really stand out. Stuff with your favorite dressing
1 whole fresh turkey, 10 to 14 pounds
salt to taste
freshly ground black pepper
3 sprigs fresh rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon dried
4 sprigs fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried
2 bay leaves, crushed
2 medium onions, roughly chopped into 1-inch pieces
3 carrots, roughly chopped into 1-inch pieces
3 stalks celery, roughly chopped into 1-inch pieces
2 shallots, peeled and halved
2. Remove the giblets from the turkey and save them for another use or discard. Rinse the turkey, inside and out, with cold water and pat dry. Season with salt and pepper inside and out.
3. If you are using fresh herbs, chop them. Combine the herbs, bay leaves, onions, carrots, celery and shallots together and stuff the mixture into the cavity of the bird.
4. Place the turkey in a roasting pan. Rub the olive oil under the skin of the turkey. Tuck the wings back, under the bird and truss it.
5. Place the turkey in the oven and roast until the skin is golden brown and crisp, the juices run clear when the thigh is pierced with a sharp knife, and a meat thermometer reads 170Â°F, about 3 hours. While it cooks, occasionally baste the turkey with the juices that collect in the roasting pan.
Note: Allow the turkey to rest for 20 minutes and check that the temperature has come up to 180Â°F. (The bird will continue to cook after removing it from the oven).
6. Transfer the turkey to a serving platter. Remove the vegetables from the cavity and discard. Let the turkey rest for about 20 minutes before carving, and then serve.
Number of Servings: 9
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user TABBYKAT75.