Broccoli Cheese MUFA soup
IntroductionThis recipe is for a creamy broccoli cheese soup without all the heavy cream and saturated fat. It uses olive oil to incorporate healthy monounsaturated fat to the dish. This recipe is for a creamy broccoli cheese soup without all the heavy cream and saturated fat. It uses olive oil to incorporate healthy monounsaturated fat to the dish.
4 Cups Water
1 Package (10oz) Broccoli (more if desired)
1tsp Wylers Chicken Boullion
1 Tbs Basil
2 tsp Oregano
1 tsp Garlic Powder
1tsp Onion Powder
2 Tbs Olive Oil
1/2 Cup Milk
1/2 Cup Shredded Low Fat Cheddar Cheese
2 Tbs Cornstarch (Dissolved in 2 Tbs cool water)
*For lower sodium, I might try substituting 4 cups low sodium chicken broth instead of the water and boullion
*The milk is entirely for the creamy color only. You may omit if you like, but the added nutrition doesn't hurt either. Each serving is only 143 calories as is. Omitting it might help low-carb dieters.
2. Stir to ensure all boullion is dissolved.
3. Lower heat to a simmer. Continue cooking until broccoli is tender. Bring heat to low-med
4. Add cornstarch/water mixture, stir and bring to a boil. Lower again to a simmer.
5. Pour in milk and cheese. Stir continuously until all cheese is melted and mixed in.
6. Remove from heat. Let stand a short while to thicken. Stir again. Serve.
Serving Size: Makes About 4 Bowls of Soup
Number of Servings: 4
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user AMANDA102013.