- Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 588.9
- Total Fat: 40.2 g
- Cholesterol: 171.7 mg
- Sodium: 1,410.7 mg
- Total Carbs: 22.0 g
- Dietary Fiber: 3.5 g
- Protein: 34.9 g
Barley and Spinach Risotto with Herbed Meatballs (Lamb or Beef)Submitted by: SOOPERTURTLE
IntroductionBarley is great for you and in risotto. Barley is great for you and in risotto.
1 Large Onion, Diced
1 Clove Garlic Minced
1 Cup Milk (any kind)
1 Cup Barley
4 Cups Chicken Stock
6 Cups Fresh Spinach (Chopped if you like)
500g (18oz) Ground Beef or Lamb (I prefer Lamb)
40g Fresh Chives (about 1 bunch)
1 Large Egg
3 Cloves Garlic, Minced
1 TBS Grainy Dijon
1/3 Cup Grated Asiago or Parmesan
The risotto is great on it's own or as a side for almost any meat. Roasted chicken thighs! mmm! The meatballs can be as is as an appy with a dip (use some fresh oregano instead of chives and serve it with tzatziki) or sear them and cook them in a lovely tomato sauce. really your options are endless. BE CREATIVE!
You can make any risotto with barley, you could add mushrooms too. You could use 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary in the place of chives! I use rosemary a lot and thought the chives were really nice in this dish.
SparkPeople Sponsored Video
1. Heat your stock in a pot and heat a non stick pan and sautee your onion and garlic till translucent. Med-High heat.
2. Add the Barley and sautee for about 3 minutes. This toasts the barley and enhances the flavour and adds a nutty note. Add the Milk and Turn to Medium Low.
3. Once the Milk has fully absorbed into the barley add 1 cup of the stock.
4. While your risotto is cooking mix the ingredients for your meatballs and season with salt and pepper. You can finely chop the chive OR give it a rough chop and put it in a blender with the egg.
5. Fry a little meat patty (like 1 tsp to check for seasonings)
6. Once your risotto has absorbed the stock add 1 more cup. Repeat Till It's done.
7. About 10 minutes from the risotto being done fry the meatballs in a little oil in a non-stick pan on high, turn down the heat to med-low after you have browned them nicely. You could also bake them in a 400 degree oven for 10-15 minutes.
8. Add the spinach to your risotto when it's done and off the heat and just stir to wilt.
9. Serve and enjoy!
Serving Size: Makes about 4 servings. 1 Cup Risotto each and about 5 meatballs.
Number of Servings: 4
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user SOOPERTURTLE.