Roasted Yellow Pepper Soup
This is a SparkPeople.com Recipe (what's this)
IntroductionA yummy way to warm you up and fill your stomach. A yummy way to warm you up and fill your stomach.
- 5 yellow peppers
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 5 1/4 cups low-sodium vegetables or chicken broth
- 1 cup potato, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Cut peppers into quarters and remove stem, seeds, and membranes.
Line a baking sheet with foil. Place peppers down on foil, skin side up and press each segment to lie flat on sheet.
Bake in an oven at 425º F for 20 minutes or until skin is blackened and blistered.
Remove peppers from oven and place in a paper bag.
Close bag and let cool for 10 minutes.
Remove and discard skins. Set roasted peppers aside.
2. Heat oil in a large saucepan and cook onion and garlic for 3-4 minutes or until onion is tender.
3. Stir in roasted peppers, broth, and potato. Bring to boiling then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
4. Cool mixture slightly then pour in a third of the pepper mixture into a blender and process until smooth. Repeat with remaining mixture.
5. Return mixture to saucepan and heat through.
6. Serve in bowls with a dollop of non-fat sour cream (optional) garnished with chives.
Reprinted with permission by Public Health – Seattle & King County