Gluten-free Fried AsparagusSubmitted by: MORNINGGLORY609
IntroductionGreat side dish, and gluten-free! Great side dish, and gluten-free!
1 lb fresh asparagus
2 Tb canola oil
3 Tb ground flaxseed
1 Tb garlic powder
1 Tb onion powder
1 tsp salt, divided
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 egg white
1/2 c milk
1/2 c cornmeal
2. Set up a dredging station. In the first bowl, combine ground flax, garlic and onion powders, 1/2 tsp salt, and the pepper. In the second, whip together egg white and milk (any fat content is fine here; I only had whole milk on hand). In the third, pour cornmeal.
3. In a large skillet, heat canola oil over medium heat until a fleck of cornmeal sizzles in the oil.
4. Dredge asparagus through flax, then egg wash, then cornmeal, coating thoroughly.
5. Place in heated oil and cook 3-4 minutes on one side, or until cornmeal is golden. Turn with tongs and cook 3-4 minutes on the other side (depending on size of skillet, this step may need to be done in batches).
6. Remove from oil, place on a paper-towel covered plate to absorb excess oil. Sprinkle with remaining salt. Serve warm (tastes especially good with a side of honey-mustard dressing).
Serving Size: makes 6 servings (appx. 8 spears per person)
Number of Servings: 6
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user MORNINGGLORY609.