Slow cooker coq au vinSubmitted by: JWOURMS
oq_au_vin_42881.pdf adapted from:
400g/14oz shallots, peeled and left whole; or large diced onion.
2 carrots, cut into chunky pieces, about 2½cm/1in
2 sticks celery, cut into 1cm/½in slices
salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 strips smoked, bacon or dry-cured lardons
2 tbsp plain flour
4 chicken legs, drumsticks
1 fresh bay leaf
few sprigs fresh thyme, or 1 tsp dried
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tbsp tomato purée
300ml/½pt full-bodied red wine
100ml/3½fl oz good quality chicken stock
150g/5½oz button or crimini mushrooms, or larger mushrooms cut in half
15 g dried mushrooms (whatever is your favourite flavour)
If serving for a dinner party - sprinkle with a couple of tablespoons of chopped parsley.
I like to serve with a potato/celeriac mash.
1. Put the shallots, carrots and celery into a slow cooker, and season.
If using onion, cut to a large dice and brown for 2 minutes. Transfer to slowcooker. If cooking in a non-stick pan, add a touch of water.
Season mixture with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Cut the bacon into pieces (called lardon). Fry the lardons in a large frying pan over a low heat for 10 minutes until crisp, golden and the fat has run from the meat. Remove from the pan and tip fat into a heatproof bowl.
2. Meanwhile, skin the chicken. Put the flour into a food bag or bowl, season with salt and freshly ground pepper, then toss the chicken pieces in the flour to coat.
3. Fry the floured chicken in the residual bacon fat until golden-brown, about five minutes each side. Put the chicken on top of the vegetables in the slow cooker and scatter with the lardons, bay leaf and thyme sprigs.
4. Heat chicken stock on stove, or in microwave. Soak dried mushrooms in stock for 5 minutes.
5. Add the garlic and tomato purée to frying pan. Cook for a minute, then add the wine and bring to the boil for two minutes. Add the mushroom/stock mixture, return to the boil, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, then pour over the meat and vegetables.
6. Cover with the lid then cook on low for six hours, until the chicken is very tender.
7. Just before serving, heat no more than 1 tablespoon of oil/or bacon fat in a frying pan and fry the mushrooms over a high heat, until golden-brown. Scatter over the chicken and serve.
Serving Size: approximately 2 Legs and 3/4cup of veg mixture.
Number of Servings: 4
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user JWOURMS.