- Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 306.3
- Total Fat: 15.3 g
- Cholesterol: 39.6 mg
- Sodium: 842.0 mg
- Total Carbs: 26.5 g
- Dietary Fiber: 8.1 g
- Protein: 16.7 g
Brown Rice and Black Bean CasseroleSubmitted by: MOMMYONTHEGO
IntroductionIt doesn't look pretty, but it is delicious! It doesn't look pretty, but it is delicious!
Brown Rice, medium grain, 1/3 cup
Vegetable Broth, 1 cup
Olive Oil, 1 tbsp
Onions, raw, .1/3 cup, diced
Zucchini, 2 cup, sliced or diced
Cumin seed, 1/2 tsp
Salt, to taste
Cayenne Pepper, to taste
Beans, black, 15 oz can
Diced Green Chilies, 4oz can
Carrots, raw, 1 1/2 cups, grated
Cheddar Cheese, 2 cup, shredded
1. Mix the rice and vegetable broth in a pot, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 45 minutes, or until rice is tender.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a large casserole dish.
3. Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat, and cook the onion until tender. Mix in the zucchini. Season with cumin, salt, and ground cayenne pepper. Cook and stir until zucchini is lightly browned.
4. In large bowl, mix the cooked rice, onion, zucchini, beans, chiles, carrots, and 1/2 the cheddar cheese. Transfer to the prepared casserole dish, and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
5. Cover casserole loosely with foil, and bake 30 minutes in the preheated oven. Uncover, and continue baking 10 minutes, or until bubbly and lightly browned.
Number of Servings: 6
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user MOMMYONTHEGO.