Gluten Free and Vegan
IntroductionI made these for my husband's birthday breakfast by adapting a gluten-free recipe that I found online to be vegan as well. He isn't vegan or a gluten-free fanatic like myself, but he loved them! I made these for my husband's birthday breakfast by adapting a gluten-free recipe that I found online to be vegan as well. He isn't vegan or a gluten-free fanatic like myself, but he loved them!
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup tapioca flour
1/4 cup corn starch
1 3/4 tsp xantham gum
1 tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup vegan butter (Earth Balance Buttery Spread)
3/4 cup Silk original light soy milk
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
These can be adapted for just about anything. Add some Italian seasonings and garlic for dinner, although I love them plain just like this! I get 10 small biscuits from this, but larger biscuits will require a little longer to cook.
2) Combine your soy milk and apple cider vinegar and set aside. This is your "buttermilk".
3) Combine all of the flours, xantham gum, corn starch, baking soda, baking powder, salt.
4) Cut the butter into the dry ingredients with a fork or pastry blender until it resembles coarse crumbs.
5) Pour your "buttermilk" onto your dry ingredients and stir until just combined. (The less the dough is worked, the better.)
6) Take small sections of dough and pat them into a biscuit shape (the dough will be sticky). Plop them on your prepared sheet and put in the oven on the middle rack.
7) Bake for 20 minutes (longer if you are making bigger biscuits).
Serving Size: Makes 7-10 biscuits