- Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 222.5
- Total Fat: 6.8 g
- Cholesterol: 61.1 mg
- Sodium: 265.3 mg
- Total Carbs: 8.3 g
- Dietary Fiber: 3.3 g
- Protein: 31.0 g
South Beach Friendly Shepard's PieSubmitted by: SHINAKO
IntroductionI love making shepard's pie, but going on the south beach diet meant I had to re-tool the recipe a bit. Here is my creation!
Designed to make lots of leftovers. I love making shepard's pie, but going on the south beach diet meant I had to re-tool the recipe a bit. Here is my creation!
Designed to make lots of leftovers.
- 2 heads cauliflower
- 1/2 cup light butter
- 2 tbsp Reduced Fat Sour Cream
- 1/2 cup Lactose Free Milk, with added Omega-3s
- 3lbs Lean Turkey
- 1 small package pre-cooked bacon bits
- 1 small bag Asain Stir-Fry vegetables
- 1 bag Steamfresh Green Beans
- 2/3s cup Reduced Fat Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Large pot
- Mashing Utensil/Immersion Blender OR Food Processor
- Casserole dish(es)
For Phase One, the Asian Stir-Fry vegetables has carrots in it. My suggestion, before mixing it into the meal, pluck out the carrots.
The carrots are fine for phases 2 and 3.
As always, all recipes are up for interpretation. Add/omit/substitute ingredients to your liking!
SparkPeople Sponsored Video
-- Trim the cauliflower heads and cut florets into similar-sized pieces.
-- Boil in water for 10-20 minutes, or until you can easily smoosh a larger piece with your fork.
-- IMPORTANT: Drain well. Pat dry with paper towel if you need to. Otherwise, it will come out too watery. You will want to reserve about 1/4c of the cooking liquid, if you can.
-- Put dried florets back into the pot. Using a mashing utensil, mash the florets until you start to get a smoother consistency. Stir in butter, milk, and sour cream, each a little bit at a time.
-- Use the immersion blender to blend ingredients until you get a creamy consistency. If it's too thick, stir in a tbsp of the reserved liquid. Repeat until you achieve the desired consistency.
-- The mashing/blending steps can be replaced by a food processor, just remember to add each ingredient in a little bit at a time to make sure you get the consistency you desire.
-- Taste. Add extra ingredients as you see fit.
At this point, pre-heat your oven to 375 degrees.
2) Cook the turkey meat on medium to medium high heat until cooked through. Mid-way through cooking, add in bacon bits.
3) Drain meat thoroughly. Begin layering into casserole dish. This is a larger recipe, so I layered into two dishes.
4) Pop the Steamfresh Green Beans into the microwave, and start cooking as directed.
5) In the meantime, open the Stir-Fry vegetables, and pour them into the pan you cooked the meat in. Pre-Cook the vegetables on low heat as you wait for the SteamFresh Vegetables to finish. They do not need to be cooked completely, as they will finish cooking in the oven.
--Note: If you're on Phase One and your bag has carrots in it, this is an optimal time to start removing them.
6) Finish layering items. Meat on bottom, vegetables next, and then the mashed cauliflower. You may see some veggies through the mashed cauliflower- that's fine. Sprinkle cheddar cheese on top.
7) Stick casserole into heated oven, and allow to cook for 20 minutes.
Serving Size: Makes approximately 12 servings