- Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 96.6
- Total Fat: 6.3 g
- Cholesterol: 10.0 mg
- Sodium: 68.0 mg
- Total Carbs: 5.4 g
- Dietary Fiber: 0.0 g
- Protein: 5.0 g
Quick Falafel with Ground TurkeySubmitted by: WOMANATWORK1
IntroductionI experimented with the pre-mixed falafel from Fantastic World Foods by mixing cooked ground turkey into the falafel "batter!" I splashed with tabasco and --WOW! I experimented with the pre-mixed falafel from Fantastic World Foods by mixing cooked ground turkey into the falafel "batter!" I splashed with tabasco and --WOW!
1 box Fantastic World Foods Vegan Falafel Mix
1.25 c water (plus about .5 cup if batter gets dry)
5.3 tbsp Spectrum organic coconut oil
10 oz. cooked ground turkey (93% lean)
splashes of Tabasco sauce to taste
(Pita bread with cucumber and tomato slices if you choose, but they are not included in the nutritional data for this recipe.)
Some of my first ones weren't holding together very well, but because I planned to stuff them into the pita with tomato and cucumber, I didn't really mind. After a little practice with keeping my hands wet while forming them, they stayed together just fine. These are not salty at all, so if you want to add more flavor, you could sprinkle them with salt and pepper before placing in the oil. Enjoy!
2. Cook the ground turkey in a pan
3. By the time you finish cooking the turkey, the falafel batter is set
4. Fold the turkey into the batter
5. Start forming the falafel balls. I used an ice-cream scoop for portion control. You will likely need to wet your hands in between forming the balls if they start to dry out, so keep some water near by.
6. Heat the coconut oil in the same pan you cooked the turkey in, set to medium high
7. Before placing the falafel into the oil, flatten them out
8. Cook in the oil about 3 minutes then flip and cook for 1 or 2 minutes. If they start to cook too fast, turn down the heat. Since nothing is raw, there's no fear of undercooking. But if you don't cook them on high enough heat, they will start to fall apart.
9. Splash with tabasco and serve.
Serving Size: Makes 20 patties
Number of Servings: 20
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user WOMANATWORK1.