- Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 369.4
- Total Fat: 6.3 g
- Cholesterol: 108.6 mg
- Sodium: 589.1 mg
- Total Carbs: 25.7 g
- Dietary Fiber: 5.5 g
- Protein: 52.8 g
Chicken Tikka Masala, healthySubmitted by: FRIZGIRL
IntroductionDelicious Chicken Tikka Masala with spinach! Tastes almost like at the indian restaraunt but for half the calories and low fat. I add spinach to it too add a bit more veggies to the meal, but if you want it the traditional way, you would omit that. Delicious Chicken Tikka Masala with spinach! Tastes almost like at the indian restaraunt but for half the calories and low fat. I add spinach to it too add a bit more veggies to the meal, but if you want it the traditional way, you would omit that.
o 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken, cut in 1 inch cubes
o 1 cup plain ff greek yogurt
o 2 tablespoons lemon juice
o 2 teaspoons ground cumin
o 1 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
o 2 teaspoons black pepper
o 1 teaspoon cinnamon
o 1 tsp ginger
o 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
o 4 garlic cloves, minced
o 1 inch ginger, minced
o 1 large onion, minced
o ½ teaspoons red pepper flakes
o 2 teaspoons ground roasted coriander
o 1 teaspoon ground cumin
o 1 teaspoon paprika
o 1 teaspoon garam masala
o 6 oz tomato paste blended with one cup water to make tomato sauce
o ¾ cup fat free half n half + 1/3 cup ff plain greek yogurt
o 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional), 10 oz frozen spinach
I always add a 10 oz package of frozen spinach (included in this calculator) and use the drained liquid to mix with the tomato paste instead of water.
1. Marinade chicken for 2 hours
2. Sauté chicken until cooked, set aside
3. For sauce, melt butter on medium heat.
4. Add garlic, onion, & ginger; cook until transluscent.
5. Stir in coriander, cumin, paprika, red pepper flakes, & garam masala.
6. Stir in tomato sauce.
7. Simmer until thick and oil comes out of spices
8. Blend yogurt and half n half
9. Stir in cream mixture, simmer to thicken- about 5 minutes. (add spinach here)
10. Add chicken to sauce.
11. Simmer until desired consistency
12. (Optional) Can add other vegetables (cooked spinach, zucchini, etc)
Garnish with cilantro and serve with basmati rice and naan. (recipe calculated without rice or naan 4 servings; with rice or naan = 6 sevings)
Serving Size: 4 large servings or 6 smaller servings