BorschtSubmitted by: MICKIE27
IntroductionThis soup turns out to be such a beautiful ruby colour. It's intended to be served cold, but if you're feeling chilly, it tastes great warmed up too! This soup turns out to be such a beautiful ruby colour. It's intended to be served cold, but if you're feeling chilly, it tastes great warmed up too!
-1 small shallot, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
-2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
-2 1/2 C chicken broth (low sodium)
-1 1/2 pounds beets, scrubbed, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
-dash of salt
-pinch of freshly ground black pepper
-1 tsp lemon juice
Wear an old shirt when working with beets. They're a beautiful colour, but their juice will stain if you get it on you.
2. Add shallot. Let sauté for about 30 seconds.
3. Add carrots. Stir and let sauté for 3 to 4 minutes.
4. Add the chicken broth.
5. Once broth comes to a boil, add beets, salt and pepper. Cover and lower heat to medium.
6. After 30 minutes, test the beets. If they are not tender, give them a few more minutes cooking time. If they are, add the lemon juice.
7. Let the soup cool a bit so that it is safe to blend.
8. Pour the soup into a blender. Gradually increase speed to high and blend until smooth.
Great work! You made Borscht!
Serving Size: Makes 6 servings of 1 cup each.
Number of Servings: 6
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user MICKIE27.