Soft CaramelsSubmitted by: REISZSPIECES
IntroductionYummy and delicious soft caramels. Cut into squares and enjoy or dip in chocolate for a special treat. Yummy and delicious soft caramels. Cut into squares and enjoy or dip in chocolate for a special treat.
2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
2 cups light corn syrup
1/2 cup water
2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) softened butter, cut into small cubes
2. Combine cream and condensed milk in small saucepan, and place on lowest heat setting. You want mixture to be warm, but DO NOT boil.
3. In a medium-large saucepan, combine cornsyrup, water, and sugar over medium-high heat. Stir until sugar dissolves, then use a wet pastry brush to wash down sides of pan to prevent sugar crystals form forming and making candy grainy.
4. Insert a candy thermometer and reduce heat to medium. Allow mixture to come to a boil and cook until the thermometer reads 250 degrees.
5. Add softened butter chunks and the warm milk-cream mixture. Temperature should drop about 30 degrees.
6. Continue to cook, stirring constantly so the bottom does not burn. Cook until thermometer reads 244 degrees and the caramel is a beautiful dark golden brown.
7. Remove from heat and immediately pour into prepared pan. DO NOT SCRAPE CANDY FROM BOTTOM OF SAUCEPAN! Allow candy to sit overnight to set and develop a smooth, silky texture.
8. Place a piece of waxed paper on cutting board and lift caramel from pan using foil as handles. Flip top of caramel onto waxed paper and peel foil layer from the bottom of the caramel.
9. Firmly cut caramels into 1"x1/2" pieces, wiping blade and spraying with non-stick spray as necessary.
10. Wrap pieces in waxed paper. Caramels with gradually spread and lose their shape if not wrapped soon after cutting. Alternately, you can dip them in chocolate once they are cut. (Chocolate is not included in nutritional info.)
11. Store caramels at room temp for up to 2 weeks.
Serving Size: Makes 162 (1/2" X 1") pieces.