- Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 354.0
- Total Fat: 20.8 g
- Cholesterol: 47.4 mg
- Sodium: 429.3 mg
- Total Carbs: 30.7 g
- Dietary Fiber: 3.2 g
- Protein: 11.8 g
View full nutritional breakdown of Greek Yogurt Macaroni and Cheese calories by ingredient
Greek Yogurt Macaroni and CheeseSubmitted by: GRUMPYKIMI
IntroductionA slightly healthier take on the traditional comfort food. Uses greek yogurt, onions and bell peppers, whole grains (where possible) and skim dairy products. A slightly healthier take on the traditional comfort food. Uses greek yogurt, onions and bell peppers, whole grains (where possible) and skim dairy products.
Number of Servings: 6
*Whole Wheat Elbow Macaroni, 1 cup
*Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 1 tbsp
*sweet yellow onion, raw .5 medium onion (1 cup finely diced)
*Red Bell Pepper .5 large, 82g (1 cup finely diced)
Salt, .25 tsp
*Wheat flour, white, all-purpose, .25 cup
*Whole Wheat Flour, 0.25 cup
Butter, salted, .5 cup
*Horizon Organic Fat Free Milk, 1.5 cup
*Yogurt Nonfat Greek Strained Yogurt Fage Brand, .5 cup
Nutmeg, ground, .25 tsp
Tabasco Sauce, .5 tsp
*Kraft 2% Shredded Cheddar Cheese, 0.25 cup
Pepper, black, .25 tsp
*Athenos Reduced Fat Feta Cheese, 2 oz (crumbled)
*365 Brand Panko Bread Crumbs, 0.5 cup
1. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add elbow macaroni and cook for 4 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water to stop cooking.
2. Warm the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onions and sauté for 3 minutes. Add red pepper and salt and continue cooking until vegetables soften. Remove from heat and reserve.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 2 quart casserole (you can substitute cooking spray, but may loose a bit of flavor).
4. Melt butter in a medium saucepan. Add flour, stir and continue to cook for 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in warm milk and 1/2 cup of FAGE greek yogurt, whisking constantly to keep smooth. Add nutmeg. Bring to a low simmer and remove from heat. Stir in 10 ounces of cheddar cheese. Whisk until smooth. Add remaining 1/2 cup yogurt and Tabasco. Combine macaroni, onion mix and cheese sauce and transfer to prepared casserole. Bake for 30 minutes.
5. Combine remaining cheddar cheese, feta and bread crumbs. Remove casserole from oven and top with crumb/cheese mix. Return to oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown and bubbling.
Serving Size: makes 6 servings
Number of Servings: 6
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user GRUMPYKIMI.