- Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 199.1
- Total Fat: 9.5 g
- Cholesterol: 29.3 mg
- Sodium: 549.7 mg
- Total Carbs: 20.5 g
- Dietary Fiber: 4.0 g
- Protein: 9.1 g
Greek-Style Vegetarian LasagnaSubmitted by: LTHORNTON79
IntroductionI was skeptical about this until I tried it ... so yummy! The original recipe (from Oldwayspt.org) calls for ricotta cheese, but I substituted cottage cheese because I really hate ricotta. I was skeptical about this until I tried it ... so yummy! The original recipe (from Oldwayspt.org) calls for ricotta cheese, but I substituted cottage cheese because I really hate ricotta.
1 lb whole wheat or whole grain lasagna noodles (I ended up using half of an 8 ounce box of Hodgson Mills Whole Grain noodles - and that's what's in the calorie count)
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 10 ounce packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed, excess liquid squeezed out
2 medium zucchini, sliced
1 tomato, chopped
1 teaspoon ground oregano
1 16 ounce jar prepared marinara sauce
1/2 cup kalamata olive, sliced
1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese (or cottage cheese)
2/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
1 egg, beaten
Freshly ground black pepper
Freezes and reheats well.
2. Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions, removing from water when they are still a little chewy in the middle (more firm than al dente). Set aside to drain.
3. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat and add onion. Saute 3 minutes and add garlic and oregano, sauteing for two minutes more. Add the zucchini and saute until beginning to soften, about 2 minutes. Add the spinach and jar of tomato sauce, and cook for about 1 more minute. Turn off heat, cover, and set aside.
4. In a medium bowl, mix the egg, ricotta, and feta cheese and a generous amount of black pepper.
5. Assemble lasagna: In a 13 x 9 inch baking pan, spoon a little of the sauce mixture into the bottom. Place a layer of the cooked lasagna noodles across this sauce. Ladle a generous helping of the sauce and veggie mixture over this, and crumble half of the feta-ricotta mixture over the sauce. Sprinkle 1/4 cup of the kalamata olive over this. Repeat this layering two more times, finishing with cheese. Add more oregano and pepper to top of lasagna if desired.
6. Cover pan with aluminum foil and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Remove foil and cook uncovered, for another 15 - 20 minutes until lasagna is bubbling and cheese is browned on top. Allow lasagna to rest for 20 minutes or so before serving.
Serving Size: Makes 8 servings
Number of Servings: 8
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user LTHORNTON79.