Jenn's Italian LasagneSubmitted by: JENNIAUN
IntroductionMy lasagne recipe I have worked on for many years. It is cheesy and filling. Lean meat, lots of veggies and low fat/fat free cheese has made it more friendly. My lasagne recipe I have worked on for many years. It is cheesy and filling. Lean meat, lots of veggies and low fat/fat free cheese has made it more friendly.
Lean ground turkey, or meat of your choice
1 large onion
2-3 Bell peppers, (green, red, yellow or orange to your taste)
4-6 cloves of garlic, pressed or minced.
2 cans of Chopped or diced tomatoes
2 tsp Italian Seasoning
1-2 tsp of dried pepper flakes
1/2 c tomato paste or one small can tomato paste
1 1/2 c water
3 c of low fat Ricotta cheese
3 c of mozzarella, part skim
1/2 c parmesan
12-16 lasagne noodles
This can be made vegetarian, just by not adding the meat. Be creative with the veggies for a new taste, like zucchini or spinach as well as peppers. Or egg plant if you want a more bulky filling instead of meat. I use chilli flakes/pepper flakes for a nice kick and love garlic. Feel free to play with the spices to suite your flavours. ENJOY!!
2. Cook the meat, add a little olive oil if using turkey breast meat. Cook all the way through, into crumbles of meat. Add to the sauce mixture. Let simmer.
3. Mix the ricotta cheese and 2/3 of the mozzarella. Combine with the egg. Add a little parmesan into the mixture.
4. In a large, long baking dish, coat the bottom with a thin layer of the sauce. Add first layer of noodles. Depending on the size of noodle and pan, this will be roughly 3-4 noodles across. Add the Cheese mixture next. Then sauce layer on top of the cheese mixture, spreading gently over. Repeat the process for roughly 3-4 layers: noodles, cheese, sauce. On the final layer of sauce, add the rest of your shredded mozzarella, and sprinkle with the rest of your parmesan.
5. Cover with foil. Bake in the oven, at about 350 F between 45-60 minutes.
6. Let cool several minutes before serving. Let the cheese set nicely. Cut in half, cut in half longways; cut those halves in half.. you should have 8 pieces. If you want smaller pieces, just cut those in half, and you will have nice small servings.
Serving Size: 8 large square servings or 16, half squares
Number of Servings: 8
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user JENNIAUN.