MAMA'S PASTA - GORGEOUS Vegetarian pasta dish
- Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 253.2
- Total Fat: 11.6 g
- Cholesterol: 19.7 mg
- Sodium: 751.2 mg
- Total Carbs: 24.7 g
- Dietary Fiber: 1.9 g
- Protein: 13.9 g
IntroductionA healthy italian pasta, so simple and easy yet absolutely delicious! A good vegetarian option! A healthy italian pasta, so simple and easy yet absolutely delicious! A good vegetarian option!
2 Red Onions thinly sliced
1 Zucchini (peeled) medium sliced
1 Aubergine cut into medium slices (salted then rinsed)
3 tins/cartons 400g Chopped tomatoes
1 very finely sliced garlic clove
Thinly sliced olives (optional)
2 teaspoons Basil (dried)
2 teaspoons oregano (dried)
1 teaspoon garlic (dried, crushed)
50g Parmesan cheese (grated)
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
2 teaspoons mascarpone cheese (Keep refrigerated until needed)
Fresh basil leaves
Around 400g Paccheri Rigati Pasta - judge how much you will want (I use Giuseppe Paccheri Rigati pasta, but a large rigatoni is also okay)
Garlic bread is a nice addition if you feel you need something extra, it goes well with the sauce! (If you do homemade garlic bread it will probably be healthier!)
For those with a meat-eater who doesn't want the veggie option, you can always add some chicken, either breaded or non, just add on top of the sauce at the end!
Keeps well for a few days in a tupperware pot and goes well with other pasta, rice or chicken dishes
2. Add the chopped tomatoes to a large saucepan on a low heat. Sprinkle a little salt and pepper into it, and leave to simmer. (This is the time to add the sliced olives if you want to!)
3. Slowly cook the sliced red onion and garlic clove in a frying pan on low heat, with a little low cal oil. When soft and smelling delicious, add to the tomatoes.
4. Again, cook the zucchini in the same way, then add to the tomatoes. - Begin boiling water in separate pan.
5. Add the basil, oregano, around 25g parmesan and a little dried garlic and stir in. Taste, and add more to your preference. Add more salt or pepper if you feel to. - ADD PASTA TO BOILING WATER NOW.
6. Cook the Aubergines in the same way, a few at a time until they are soft and looking lovely! - Add to sauce.
7. Keep the sauce simmering on a low heat for a further 10 minutes or so, just to get the flavours to come through a bit more. Keep tasting and adding anything else if needed, more garlic, basil and parmesan make it even more gorgeous. If you let it simmer a while the taste will be stronger, but if you are in more of a rush, it's still lovely only simmered for a short while!
8. Remove from heat and drain pasta, leave to stand for a minute.
9. Place around 6-7 tubes of pasta (or however many you prefer) to a pasta bowl.
10. Spoon a portion of the sauce on top of the centre of the pasta.
11. Place the 2 teaspoons (you can add more later if desired) chilled mascarpone cheese onto the centre of the
sauce. Place two basil leaves on top of the cheese (and scatter with remaining parmesan if you like).
12. ENJOY MAMA'S PASTA !!!!
Serving Size: Enough for 4, maybe 5.