Canning Stewed TomatoesSubmitted by: MSUALEXIS
IntroductionMy favorite recipe for stewed tomatoes. This recipe is for canning, hence the large number of servings. My favorite recipe for stewed tomatoes. This recipe is for canning, hence the large number of servings.
4 Quarts Tomatoes.
1/2 Cup Green Peppers.
1/2 Cup Onions.
1/8 Cup Fresh Basil.
1/4 Cup Sugar
2 Teaspoons Salt
- Chop peppers, onions and basil.
- Peel, core, then chop and quarter tomatoes - they are easier to peel if you dip them in boiling water for 30 seconds, then in ice water for 30 seconds
- Combine all in kettle and boil for 10 minutes.
- Pack in hot jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace
- Process in a Pressure Canner at 10 pounds of pressure for 15 minutes for pints, 20 minutes for quarts.
if you are not familiar with canning, please read up on it before trying it. If you don't follow the instructions of the canner exactly, serious injury can result.
Serving Size: Makes 14 1 cup servings
Number of Servings: 14
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user MSUALEXIS.