Vegan Steel Cut OatmealSubmitted by: JENKNITS
IntroductionThis is my go to breakfast! By cooking it with the mashed bananas, it adds a sweetness throughout the oatmeal. Top it off with some maple syrup, seasonal fruit, or whatever your heart desires! This is my go to breakfast! By cooking it with the mashed bananas, it adds a sweetness throughout the oatmeal. Top it off with some maple syrup, seasonal fruit, or whatever your heart desires!
1 cup steel cut oatmeal
2 cups water
2 cups vanilla soy milk (other non dairy milk)
Pinch of salt
1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2-3 bananas)
2 tsp ground cinnamon
3 tsp vanilla extract
Maple syrup/ sweeteners (optional)
Fresh fruit (optional)
Additional spices to your taste -- nutmeg, etc (optional)
You can really get creative about what you add in!
2. Stir in steel cut oats with a pinch of salt.
3. Reduce heat to low and throroughly mix in mashed bananas.
4. Simmer on low for 20 to 25 minutes, stirring mixture at least every 3 to 4 minutes, until consistency is thick and oats are tender and creamy.
5. Add in vanilla extract and cinnamon -- more or less to your taste, as well as other spices you like.
6. Serve immediately, adding toppings (fruit, maple syrup, additional spices, etc) as desired. Or store in air tight containers in refrigerator to reheat later. When reheating in microwave or on stovetop, add liquid (water or soy milk) before reheating, then add desired toppings.
Serving Size: Makes 5 1 cup servings
Number of Servings: 5
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user JENKNITS.