- Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 449.6
- Total Fat: 17.5 g
- Cholesterol: 187.2 mg
- Sodium: 259.7 mg
- Total Carbs: 72.9 g
- Dietary Fiber: 2.4 g
- Protein: 8.9 g
Cinnamon Chocolate Custard Meringue PieSubmitted by: SOPRANOCHIC
IntroductionA dark, rich, complex custard topped with fluffy meringue. At just under 450 cals/serving, it's not a diet dessert, but because it's made with milk, not cream, it's far lighter than standard custard recipes. A dark, rich, complex custard topped with fluffy meringue. At just under 450 cals/serving, it's not a diet dessert, but because it's made with milk, not cream, it's far lighter than standard custard recipes.
2 c 2% Chocolate Milk
2/3 c Brown Sugar
1/4 c Flour
6 eggs, separated
3/4 c Powdered Sugar
1 9" Pie crust, graham cracker or chocolate
2/3 c Bittersweet Chocolate Chips
Cinnamon, ground, 2 tsp, and a pinch each of nutmeg and allspice.
2. With a handmixer or immersion blender, mix the egg yolks, sugar, and flour until it becomes a pale yellow, 1-2 minutes.
3. Temper the chocolate milk into the eggs, a bit at a time, and then add the egg mixture back into the chocolate milk. Boil again, stirring constantly, until a thick pudding-like consistency.
4. Add the bittersweet chocolate chips and spices.
5. Set aside in the fridge to cool, with a sheet of saran wrap over it to prevent the custard from getting a skin.
6. Whip the egg whites and powdered sugar together over a bain-marie until stiff peaks form.
7. Put the cooled custard in the pie crust, top with meringue, making sure to cover the whole top of the pie in meringue.
8. Bake at 400F until golden brown all around, 5-10 minutes.
Serving Size: Makes 8 generous, messy slices
Number of Servings: 8
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user SOPRANOCHIC.