Apple and Ginger Spice Cake
1.5 cup flour (white or wheat)
.5 cup unsweetened applesauce
3 oz fresh ginger root
.5 cup brown sugar
2 tsp vanilla
3-4 med egg whites
.25 canola oil
1 tbsp molasses
1.5 cup thinly sliced apples
.25 cup pecans
.25 cup sweetened coconut
1 tsp ground cinnamon
.5 tsp ground cloves
.5 tsp ground black pepper or allspice
Prep your baking pan-
1. cut piece of parchment baking paper by tracing the top of pan onto the parchment paper and then cut just inside the line.
2. Spray bottom of pan with cooking spray (e.g. Pam)
3. Place cut piece of parchment paper on bottom of sprayed pan
4. Spray parchment paper with baking spray
2. Beat eggwhites, then mix in apple sauce, oil, vanilla, molasses, ginger, apples, pecans and sweetened coconut.
3. Add apple mixture to dry ingredients, mix until just moist.
4. Pour into a greased 9 x 9 baking pan and bake in a 350 degree oven for approximately 50-55 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
5 Let cool slightly, slice & serve. If you want more sweet, you could drizzle a caramel glaze over the top, or spike by drizzling brandy over it.
Serving Size: 12 slices
Number of Servings: 12
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user LEENDALOO.