Red Lentil SoupSubmitted by: WACKYGRL
IntroductionRed Lentil Soup.
This is a Sudanese red lentil soup my husband taught me to make. Red Lentil Soup.
This is a Sudanese red lentil soup my husband taught me to make.
Onions, raw, 1 cup, chopped
Garlic, 4-5 cloves
Canola Oil, 1 tbsp
Red Lentils, 1 cup
Red Ripe Tomatoes, 1 medium whole (2-3/5" dia)
Green Peppers (bell peppers), 1 cup, chopped
Carrots, raw, 1 cup, chopped
Water 6 cup (8 fl oz) for a soup like consistency
Water 4 cup for a stew like consistency
Dash lemon juice
1 bouillon cube
Cumin 2 tbsp
Coriander 1 tbsp
Paprika 1 tsp
Cinnamon 0.5 tsp
Ginger 0.5 tsp (optional)
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
I prefer to eat this as a soup with a bit of brown rice or croutons, and my husband prefers to eat it as a stew and scoop it up with pita bread.
It goes very well with yogurt salad or eggplant salad.
SparkPeople Sponsored Video
2. Chop onions and add to pan. Sautee for about 5 minutes on low heat until translucent. Add garlic and cook for another minute.
3. Add red lentils and cook until lentils turn lighter in color.
4. Add remaining vegetables and water. Add lemon juice. The lemon helps the lentils to break down and decreases the starchy taste.
5. If using a pressure cooker allow to cook for 10 minutes.
Otherwise allow to cook on a low boil for 25-30 minutes.
6. Add spices and let simmer for another 10-15 minutes. After about 10 minutes check taste and add more spices as needed. I never measure spices so I'm not exactly sure how much is needed, but the proportions are about right.
Serving Size: Makes about 6 1 cup servings
Number of Servings: 6
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user WACKYGRL.