- Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 166.2
- Total Fat: 6.7 g
- Cholesterol: 6.3 mg
- Sodium: 131.1 mg
- Total Carbs: 27.9 g
- Dietary Fiber: 2.4 g
- Protein: 0.1 g
Simple Single Crust Apple PieSubmitted by: SPKRAUSE
IntroductionApples, crust, a bit of sugar, starch & cinnamon Apples, crust, a bit of sugar, starch & cinnamon
1 9" pie crust
5 medium apples, cored and sliced about 1/8" thick or a bit less
splash of vinegar or lemon juice
1 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp cornstarch
1 tsp cinnamon
optional: egg white for wash
2. Preheat oven to 425F.
3. Drain the apples in a colander or mesh basket for 15+ minutes. Put about a cup in a skillet over medium heat until they shrivel a bit from water loss, then add a tsp. of butter and brown them slightly. Remove from heat and let cool.
4. Place pie crust in 9" pie dish.
5. Mix sugar, starch & cinnamon, and thoroughly coat the remaining, dried, apples slices.
6. Place the browned apple slices on the bottom of the crust. Then layer the other slices in a spiral motion (either from the center out or ring inward) until all the slices are used. Gently fold in the edges of the pie crust as if covering the apples with a blanket. Wash the crust gently with egg white and sprinkle sugar on it.
7. Bake at 425F for about 20-25 minutes or until apples are tender. Let cool thoroughly, about 4 hours, before serving; this allows the apples to settle and the pectin to set up.
Serving Size: makes 8 slices of pie
Number of Servings: 8
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user SPKRAUSE.