Broccoli CarbonaraSubmitted by: ASHLEEK1128
IntroductionLighter carbonara sauce makes this a much healthier and low cal option. Lighter carbonara sauce makes this a much healthier and low cal option.
2 crowns of broccoli
8 oz penne pasta
1 tsp olive oil
4 slices of thick cut bacon
1 cup of 1% milk
2 eggs, large
6 tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated
Salt and pepper to taste
2. Bring a pot of salted water to boil and line a baking sheet with foil.
3. Cut the broccoli into medium florets and place on the baking sheet.
4. Coat with cooking spray toss the broccoli to evenly coat and sprinkle with salt to taste
5. Roast for 12-15 minutes, until nicely browned. While the broccoli is roasting, cook the pasta and the bacon - everything will be done at about the same time.
6. Heat 1 tsp olive oil in a saute pan over high heat and add the bacon, cooking until almost completely crisped.
7. Add the black pepper and when bacon has completely browned, remove from heat and transfer to a large bowl (big enough for mixing the entire recipe).
8. Mix the milk and Parmesan cheese and add to pan with bacon. Stir well.
9. Add pasta to boiling water and cook per package directions. Set aside 1 cup of pasta water and then drain the pasta.
10. Add the hot pasta and a splash or two of pasta water (~2 Tbsp at a time) to the pan with the bacon, while stirring vigorously to create a creamy sauce.
11. Add the broccoli, toss to coat (adding additional water if necessary).
12. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese to taste.
Serving Size: Makes 4 servings
Number of Servings: 4
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user ASHLEEK1128.