Vegetable Rice Pilaf
This is a SparkPeople.com Recipe (what's this)
IntroductionWith onions, zucchini, carrots, eggplant, and tomatoes, this recipe is packed with vegetables. With onions, zucchini, carrots, eggplant, and tomatoes, this recipe is packed with vegetables.
- 1 14.5 oz. can of low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup dry lentils, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup long grain rice, uncooked
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 1/2 cups zucchini and/or yellow summer squash
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1/2 small eggplant, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, shredded
2. Add zucchini and/or squash and carrot and simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
3. In a medium skillet, cook eggplant and garlic in olive oil over medium heat until eggplant is soft (about 8-10 minutes).
4. Remove lentil mixture from heat and let stand for 5 minutes.
5. Stir in eggplant mixture, tomatoes and basil.
6. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese as desired.
Reprinted with permission by Public Health – Seattle & King County