Butternut Squash Macaroni and Cheese
- Servings Per Recipe: 9
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 258.8
- Total Fat: 3.1 g
- Cholesterol: 2.4 mg
- Sodium: 557.4 mg
- Total Carbs: 48.6 g
- Dietary Fiber: 7.3 g
- Protein: 11.2 g
IntroductionA really healthy version of macaroni and cheese, perfect for fall! A really healthy version of macaroni and cheese, perfect for fall!
2.5 lbs butternut squash
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 cup vegetable or chicken broth
6 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
2 thyme sprigs
1 box whole wheat or multigrain macaroni of your choice
1/2 cup breadcrumbs, Panko or regular
1/2 t. dried basil
1/2 t. dried oregano
1/2 t. dried parsley
1/2 t pepper, either red flakes or black
1/2 to 1 t. salt
1/4 cup lowfat parmesan cheese (for the end)
*The mozzarella cheese in the puree will add to the cheesiness, but will add fat and calories, so make sure you choose a lowfat variety.
*If you're not vegetarian, feel free to use low-sodium chicken stock, and even some diced lean ham for extra protein.
2. If your butternut squash is not already chopped up, cut into 1-2 inch cubes (no need to get to specific about it)
3. Place the squash, almond milk, broth, smashed garlic, and thyme in a large pot, bring up to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook until tender. You can add salt and pepper to this if you like. (This process will likely take about 15 minutes or so)
4. While it is simmering, boil your pasta according to the directions on the box.
5. In a small bowl, mix together the breadcrumbs, basil, oregano, parsley, pepper, and salt.
6. When the squash is tender, remove the thyme sprigs, remove the squash from the liquid, and puree in a food processor. When it is smooth, add liquid until it is a loose consistency (it will thicken in the oven). You may also add some cheese, like mozzarella, and puree it again. This will make it seem cheesier.
7. Drain the pasta, put back into the pot, and add the butternut squash puree. Put in a 9x9 baking dish, top with the breadcrumb mixture, cover, and bake for 35 minutes.
8. Remove the foil, top with parmesan cheese, and bake for another 5 minutes.
9. Remove from oven and let cool slightly. Enjoy!
Serving Size: About 1 cup, or 1/9th of the recipe