- Servings Per Recipe: 15
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 105.2
- Total Fat: 2.9 g
- Cholesterol: 13.0 mg
- Sodium: 684.2 mg
- Total Carbs: 13.6 g
- Dietary Fiber: 2.2 g
- Protein: 6.6 g
Chilean Pumpkin Chicken Rice StewSubmitted by: MOSHMAN53
IntroductionServed with homemade Ciabatta is awsome. Served with homemade Ciabatta is awsome.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 6 celery ribs, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 large white onions, 1 coarsely chopped and 1 minced
- 20 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- about 6 large chicken breasts cut into chunks
- 2 Small cooking Pumpkins, peeled,seeded and cut into 1" chunks
- 16 small fingerling potatoes
- 2 cups wild rice (about 3/4 pound)
- 4 quarts chicken stock or canned low-sodium broth plus water (Mushroom broth is good too!)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro
The stew can be refrigerated for up to 2 days. Prepare the cilantro garnish just before serving.
This hearty stew calls for a full-bodied white‹why not make it a Chilean Chardonnay? Try the 1997 Casa Lapostolle or the 1997 Los Vascos.
1. Heat the oil in a large pot. Add the carrots, celery and coarsely chopped onion and cook over moderate heat, stirring often, until the vegetables are softened but not browned, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic, cumin and oregano and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 4 minutes.
2. Spoon half the vegetables into another large pot. Divide the chicken legs and breasts, the squash, potatoes and wild rice between the pots and pour 2 quarts of the stock into each pot. Season well with salt and pepper.
3. Add enough water to just cover the chicken and vegetables and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderately low heat until the vegetables and rice are tender and the chicken is cooked through, about 1 1/4 hours. Season with salt and pepper.
4. In a small strainer, rinse the minced onion. Transfer the onion to a kitchen towel and squeeze dry. In a small bowl, combine the onion with the cilantro.
5. Ladle the chicken stew into deep bowls. Sprinkle with the onion-cilantro mixture and serve.
Serving Size: Makes 10 healthy sized bowl servings