- Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 128.0
- Total Fat: 6.4 g
- Cholesterol: 26.2 mg
- Sodium: 499.6 mg
- Total Carbs: 7.6 g
- Dietary Fiber: 1.5 g
- Protein: 9.8 g
Sausage & Cheese Stuffed Zucchini BoatsSubmitted by: LJSCRIVEN
IntroductionZucchini hollowed out and stuffed with lean Italian sausage, then topped with marinara and cheese. You are going to love these! Zucchini hollowed out and stuffed with lean Italian sausage, then topped with marinara and cheese. You are going to love these!
1 1/4 cups pasta/marinara sauce
4 (~31 oz total) medium zucchini
1 tsp olive oil
1/2 small onion, finely diced
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
1/4 cup diced green pepper
14 oz lean Italian chicken sausage, removed from casing
1/2 cup part skim shredded mozzarella
8 tsp grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup fresh spinach
1 tsp salt
Black pepper to taste
Italian seasoning to taste
a. Feel free to use any low-fat sausage or beef. We used Al Fresco.
b. You can also make these vegetarian by using your favorite bean in place of the meat.
c. Like it spicy? Add chopped jalapeno to the mixture and top with red pepper flakes.
2. Preheat oven to 400°.
3. Cut zucchini in half lengthwise and using a spoon or melon baller, scoop out flesh, leaving 1/4" thick (it should look like a canoe).
3. Chop the scooped out flesh of the zucchini in small pieces and set aside.
4. Drop zucchini halves in boiling water and cook 1 MINUTE. Remove from water.
5. Place 1/4 cup of sauce in the bottom of a 9 x 12" baking dish, and place zucchini halves cut side up.
6. Sprinkle each with Italian seasoning
7. In a large saute pan, brown sausage, breaking up as it cooks into smaller pieces until browned; set aside.
8. Heat oil and add onion, garlic and bell pepper. Cook on a medium-low heat for about 2-3 minutes, until onions are translucent.
9. Add chopped zucchini, spinach, season with salt and pepper and cook about 2-3 minutes. Combine with sausage and cook a few more minutes.
10. Using a spoon, fill each hollowed zucchini with the cooked sausage.
11. Top each with sauce, shredded mozzarella cheese, and Parmesan cheese.
12. Cover with foil and bake 35 minutes until cheese is melted and zucchini is cooked through.
Serving Size: 1 "boat"
Number of Servings: 8
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user LJSCRIVEN.