Healthy Banana Nut BreadSubmitted by: CVJANE
IntroductionI have tweaked this recipe to exclude the oil, change out the eggs and add flax for more fiber. I get great reviews, even from my kids! I have tweaked this recipe to exclude the oil, change out the eggs and add flax for more fiber. I get great reviews, even from my kids!
1 1/4 cup all purpose unbleached flour
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
1 Tbs ground flax
1/3 cup Egg Beaters or Egg Substitute
1/3 cup Organic Evaporated Cane Sugar
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
3 tsp vanilla extract
2 medium very ripe bananas, mashed
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- I found easiest way to mash bananas is to mash them in their skins and then "squeeze" out the mashed product from a small opening in the top of the banana. May need a little more in the bowl with a fork, but generally gets the job done well.
- Good any time, but Best when served warm with a dollup of fat free whipped topping (those calories, although small at extra to what is here)
2. Mix together dry ingredients (except sugar and walnuts)
3. In a separate larger bowl, mix together all other remaining ingredients (except walnuts).
4. Slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet ones, mixing well
5. Fold in the chopped walnuts
6. Pour into greased loaf pan and bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick or knife comes out clean when inserted into loaf.
Serving Size: Makes 10 slices in bread loaf pan
Number of Servings: 10
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user CVJANE.