- Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 1,777.5
- Total Fat: 85.8 g
- Cholesterol: 1,110.0 mg
- Sodium: 3,237.3 mg
- Total Carbs: 204.2 g
- Dietary Fiber: 5.3 g
- Protein: 50.6 g
coconut sponge cakeSubmitted by: PERACH
IntroductionFor people who like to make every thing from stratch. I am currently in Brazil so coconuts are plentifull and very very cheap. It was well worth the effort. For people who like to make every thing from stratch. I am currently in Brazil so coconuts are plentifull and very very cheap. It was well worth the effort.
1 whole coconut, opened, saving the water, peeling off the inner peel and grating the pieces into skinny flakes.
6 eggs separated.
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup flour
1 lime - grind the zest and use the juice of one half.
1 tbsp vanilla extract
4 tbsp walnut oil (the coconut has enough oil so that the cake isnot dry.
The lime really makes for great flavor and brings to perfection the tastes. Half a cup of sugar makes for a pleasently sweetened cake without being overpowering sweet.
2. Mix together the dry ingredients.
3. Mix together the wet ingredients (including the coconut water and lime zest).
4. Seperate the eggs, adding the egg yolks to the wet mixture and the whites into a separate bowl.
5. Mix together the wet and dry ingredients.
6. Add to the egg whites the salt and about half tsp of sugar. Beat until stiff.
7. Fold egg whites into the batter.
8. Pour into a lightly oiled pan or use baking paper on the bottom of the pan.
Bake at 200 C untill lightly browned or until the toothpick comes out very clean.
Serving Size: 26 2" slices
Number of Servings: 1
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user PERACH.