Chicken briyani riceSubmitted by: MARGESLP
Introductionadapted for WW (4 points) adapted for WW (4 points)
1 large chicken breast cut into bite size pieces
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cardamon
2 whole cloves
1/4 tsp ground cloves
2 cm cinnamon stick
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp saffron
1 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
4 tbsp olive oil
3 bay leaves
1 carrot, finely sliced
1 onion, finely sliced
2 chilies (optional), finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 cm fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
2 cups brown rice
1/4 cup sultanas (you can use raisins or currents)
18 oz. water
4 oz fat free yogurt
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp cashew nuts
2. Heat the oil in a large, preferably non-stick pot over medium high heat. Add chicken and cook until just brown then remove and set aside. Add the bay leaves, onion and carrot. Stir fry for 3 minutes.
3. Add chili, garlic, ginger. Stir fry for 2 minutes.
4. Add the drained rice and then all the dry spices. Stir and fry for 2 minutes.
5. Stir in sultanas, water, yogurt and salt. Add chicken back to the pot at this time to allow to fully cook. Bring to boil.
6. Cover the pot and turn the heat to very low.
7. Cook for about 30 minutes or until the rice is tender and the water dried up.
8. If you are using cashew nuts, deep fry them until cooked (they should be darker yellow color if compared to the raw ones). Sprinkle the nuts on the rice before serving.
Makes 6 2- cup servings
Number of Servings: 6
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user MARGESLP.