Stuffed TomatoesSubmitted by: FITCOFFEEMOM357
IntroductionI was inspired by The Chew's Fridge Raiders and wanted to see what I could make with my fresh tomatoes from my garden. I ate the whole servings....before I calculated the calories. Next time one tomato with some kind of meat dish. I was inspired by The Chew's Fridge Raiders and wanted to see what I could make with my fresh tomatoes from my garden. I ate the whole servings....before I calculated the calories. Next time one tomato with some kind of meat dish.
1/4c chopped mushrooms (used for pizza night)
1/4c chopped red onions (used for pizza night)
3/4c pasta sauce, divided (leftover)
1c brown rice (leftover from a steam-in-a-bag)
1/2oz. cheddar cheese
1/2oz. light pepperjack
pinch of kosher salt
2 medium tomatoes (from my garden)
After making the dish I would increase the mushrooms to 1/2c and onions to 1/4c. I did not add too much salt because I used leftover jar sauce which had salt already.
I had 1Tbsp of chopped parsley I wanted to add to the top of the tomatoes, but I forgot.
The cooking times are about...I just eyeballed things.
I made the mistake of eating it both servings...next time just one tomato and add meat!!!
The picture shows TWO servings.
2. cut the tops off the tomaotes and remove the plup and discard.
3. Pre-heat your skillet over med-low heat, once heated add your EVOO (or oil of choice) once that is heated add the mushrooms. Cook until they are a light brown. When the mushrooms are light brown add the onions and pinch of salt. Continue to cook until brown.
4. Add 1/2c of sauce and rice to the skillet and mix with the mushrooms and onions.
5. Place remaining sauce in the center of a baking dish, but do NOT spread too thin.
6. stuff the tomatoes being careful NOT to split them and then place in dish right in the sauce. There should be left over rice mix. I placed in around the tomatoes in the sauce.
7. Tent with foil and bake for 10min. Remove the foil and add the cheeses and return for 5 more minutes....longer if you like your cheese browner. ^_~
Serving Size: Each tomato is one serving with a little of the overflow of rice.