- Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 546.4
- Total Fat: 11.5 g
- Cholesterol: 53.3 mg
- Sodium: 531.2 mg
- Total Carbs: 74.5 g
- Dietary Fiber: 14.8 g
- Protein: 37.6 g
Jamie's 15 minute (takes me around 25) Sizzling Chicken FajitasSubmitted by: WAHZOE
IntroductionAdapted from Jamie Oliver's 15 minute meals book.
I have altered the amount of chicken to match the pack sizes we buy and lowered the amount of fresh chilli as I always find Jamie's recipes have too much. Adapted from Jamie Oliver's 15 minute meals book.
I have altered the amount of chicken to match the pack sizes we buy and lowered the amount of fresh chilli as I always find Jamie's recipes have too much.
For the Salsa
1 dried smoked chilli
2 Spring Onions (scallions)
1 ripe large tomato
1/2 bunch fresh coriander (cilantro)
1/2 fresh red chilli
2 tsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp low salt soy sauce
For the Fajitas
2 different coloured peppers
1 red onion
300g skinless chicken breast
1 heaped tsp smoked paprika (plus extra to serve)
1 tbsp olive oil (although I prefer to use canola)
For the Rice and beans
400g tin of 3 bean salad in water (drained)
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 fresh red chilli
250g pack cooked brown rice (or you could precook some or use leftovers, but 250g cooked weight)
4 wholemeal flour tortillas
4 tbsp low fat natural yoghurt
20g feta cheese
* Kettle boiled, * Blender ready, * griddle pan onto heat, * medium frying pan onto heat, * Large saucepan onto heat
1. Tear the dried chilli into the blender and just cover with boiling water. Trim and add the spring onions with the tomato, coriander stalks, 1/2 fresh red chilli, juice of 1 lime, balsamic vinegar ans soy sauce. Pop the lid on and leave to sit while you get on with the rest.
2. Remove the stalks and seeds from the peppers, then tear up and place on the griddle pan. Peel, quarter and add the red onio, season with salt and pepper and let it char nicely all over.
3. Meanwhile on a large sheet of greaseproof paper, toss the chicken with salt, pepper and paprika. Fold over the paper, then bash and flatten the chicken to 1.5 cm thick, with a rolling pin.
4. Put the chicken into the frying pan with 1 tbsp of oil, turning after 3 or 4 minutes, until golden and cooked through.
5. Drain and rinse the beans, then put into the large pan with 1 tbsp oil and the cumin seeds and the other 1/2 fresh red chilli. Toss regularly for a couple of minutes until the beans are crispy skinned.
6. Whizz the contents of the blender until smooth, then pour into a little serving bowl. Stir the rice and the juice of 1 lemon into the beans to warm the rice through.
7. Transfer the charred veg to a serving board or platter, then merely warm the tortillas on the griddle pan.
8. Slice the chicken and serve with the charred veg, rice and beans, tortillas and lime wedges. Dollop yoghurt over the veg, then sprinkle everything with the crumbled feta and the coriander leaves.
Serving Size: Makes 4 decent portions
Number of Servings: 4
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user WAHZOE.