- Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 75.8
- Total Fat: 2.7 g
- Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
- Sodium: 4.3 mg
- Total Carbs: 12.3 g
- Dietary Fiber: 1.7 g
- Protein: 1.4 g
arroz con veduras (spanish yellow rice with vegatables)Submitted by: PERACH
IntroductionVery tasty all in one recipe. Can be made also with chicken (arroz con pollo) Very tasty all in one recipe. Can be made also with chicken (arroz con pollo)
1 Tbsp Achote seeds, can be found in the Spanish section or a Spanish grocery. This adds color to the rice.
2 Tbsp extra virgen olive oil
2 cups long white rice (blue rose or Tailand rice is best)
20 grams or about 6 shallots (those tiny onions)
1 cup squash (any kind)
1 cup green beans (snap) or green fava beans
1 cup baby carrots
1 red bell pepper, roasted and cut into strips
1 jalapeno, diced
OPT: chicken, cut into portions
1 Tbsp cumin
1 tsp white pepper
1 - 2 tsp salt
about 1/3 tsp curry powder
1 tsp saffron strings
1 tsp tumeric
Achote can also be bought in powder form which reduces the need to fry it in oil. Any leftovers can be warmed up by steaming (add a small amount of water to the pot and put on a low flame). Chorizo can also be added for those who love it.
2. Fry the achote in the olive oil until the oil turns red. Drain the oil into the cooking pan (it will be very hot) using a metal strainer. Discard the seeds.
3. If you can to add chicken, lightly fry the chicken in the oil at this point, take out and put on the side on the plate.
4. Fry the rice, bell pepper, jalapeno and shallots in the oil.
5. Add the spices and continue until the rice becomes see through.
6. Add the vegetables and water (about 4 cups). If you want the chicken return it at this point.
7. Bring to a boil and cook on low heat for about 30 - 40 minutes until the rice is cooked through.
Serving Size: 8 1-cup servings
Number of Servings: 12
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user PERACH.