Middle Eastern Lentil Soup
IntroductionHealthy Middle Eastern traditional soup. Healthy Middle Eastern traditional soup.
2 cups of dry red lentils
1 small carrot
1 small onion
1 small potato
1 cube of chicken bouillon
the juice of 2 lemons
3 tbsp olive oil
salt, cumin and turmeric to taste
- To check if lentils are cooked remove one from the pot and test, if it crumbles easily, it's cooked.
- You can do without the chicken bouillon for a vegetarian meal.
- Control the thickness of your soup to taste by increasing or reducing the amount of water used to boil the vegetables.
2. Cut the carrot, onion and potato into large cubes and cover with roughly 10-12 cups of water in a pot. Boil for 15 minutes and add the chicken bouillon cube. Continue boiling until almost cooked through.
3. Drain the lentils and add them to the pot. Continue cooking until lentils are cooked.
4. Set aside and let cool for 30 minutes.
5. Add the salt and cumin then mix well in a mixer.
6. Boil the mixture again for 10 minutes.
7. Add the turmeric and stir in the olive oil and lemon juice.
More lemon and olive oil can be added optionally to individual plates, as well as parsley to garnish.
Served with whole wheat pita bread and separate plates containing pickled green olives in an olive oil and lemon juice bath, green onions, Radishes and hot red or green pepper.
These are traditionally nibbled on while eating the soup.
Serving Size: makes 6 2-cup servings