- Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 377.8
- Total Fat: 18.1 g
- Cholesterol: 394.5 mg
- Sodium: 564.7 mg
- Total Carbs: 31.0 g
- Dietary Fiber: 3.0 g
- Protein: 21.5 g
Maple Sweet Potato & Ham Hash with Poached EggsSubmitted by: DANAMY
IntroductionA savory, sweet breakfast entree perfect for Sunday mornings. Nice change on the traditional roasted breakfast potatoes. A savory, sweet breakfast entree perfect for Sunday mornings. Nice change on the traditional roasted breakfast potatoes.
1 Sweet Potato, medium to large size, chopped into small pieces
1/4 Large Onion - Red or Vidalia
3 slices Honey Maple Ham lunchmeat (optional)
1 tbsp EVOO
1 tsp Ground Ginger, to taste
1 tsp Thyme, to taste
Salt & Pepper, to taste
4 Eggs, poached
Optional - 1 oz crumbled, soft goat cheese
* Cut sweet potatoes into small cubes so they don't take too long to cook. One potato really does go a long way & easily satisfies 2 healthy portions.
* Experiment with the spices, cinnamon, red pepper, rosemary would all make great changes
* Poaching eggs really comes down to timing. I try not to leave the eggs in the water for more than 4 minutes. Which is why I pull them off at 3 minutes. It usually takes another minute to plate so they cook a bit more in the hot water. There will be foamy cooked egg on the top of the water. Unless you're lucky enough to have a egg poacher, in which case, this is a snap.
* After plating the sweet potato hash, crumbling 1/2 oz of soft goat cheese = heaven!
* Remove the Ham & you have a great vegetarian meal.
* Enjoy for breakfast or dinner (Meatless Mondays, anyone?)
Scrub & chop sweet potato in small pieces (too big & they will take too long to cook & get soft).
Heat skillet over medium high heat, spray with Pam & add EVOO. When hot, add sweet potato & cook for a few minutes stirring frequently to brown & soften.
Dice 1/4 sweet or red onion, add to pan, reduce heat to medium. Add spices to taste - I prefer ginger, thyme, salt & pepper.
Crack eggs into individual small cups (I use the small measuring cup with handle & spout) & add a few drops of vinegar. When water boils, use a balloon whisk to create a whirlpool in the water. Quickly pour the eggs into the center of the whirlpool very close to the water. Set timer for 3 minutes.
Chop 3 slices Honey Maple Ham lunch meat. When the sweet potatoes are soft when pierced with a fork, add the chopped ham to heat through. Pour just enough syrup over the potatoes to give the maple flavor - don't over syrup or it will be too sweet & sticky. Let the syrup cook off a bit. Re-season as necessary.
When egg timer goes off, remove pot from heat.
Divide sweet potatoes between 2 plates & remove eggs from water with slotted spoon. Gently place 2 poached eggs over each plate of hash.
Serving Size: Serves 2
Number of Servings: 2
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user DANAMY.