- Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 394.8
- Total Fat: 30.5 g
- Cholesterol: 122.7 mg
- Sodium: 907.1 mg
- Total Carbs: 10.0 g
- Dietary Fiber: 2.0 g
- Protein: 20.6 g
Mock Fettuccine CarbonaraSubmitted by: BELLASMOMMA
IntroductionTaken from "George Stella's Livin' Low Carb" Cookbook Taken from "George Stella's Livin' Low Carb" Cookbook
1 medium spaghetti squash (only using half)
4 tablespoons of unsalted butter
1/2 cup cooked bacon (you may also use
prosciutto, parma ham)
1/2 cup small broccoli florets, lightly blanched
1 cup heavy cream
1 large egg yolk
1 clove garlic, crushed
1.5 cups chopped fresh parsley
Salt and pepper (to taste)
Fresh basil leaves, for garnish
2. Fill a large pot with water and bring to a full boil. Completely submerge the squash half in the boiling water and cook for about 20-25 minutes, until you can pierce the inside easily with a fork and the pulp pulls apart in strands.
3. Remove, drain, and plunge the squash half in a pot of cold water or an ice bath to stop the cooking. When the squash is cool, drain and dry it, then use a fork to scrape the cooked squash out of its skin, fluffing and seperating the pulp into spaghetti-like strands. Discard the skin.
3. Blanche 1/2 cup of broccoli. Sit to side.
4. Fill a medium pot with water and bring to a boil. While waiting for the watge rto boil, prepare the carbonara sauce: Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the ham and saute for about 1 minute. Whisk in the cream and egg yolk and cook for 1 - 2 minutes more. Add the garlic and cheese and whisk quickly just to heat through. Remove the heat and stir in the rest of the butter, broccoli, and the parsley.
5. Right before serving, place the squash strands in a strainer and dip briefly into the pot of boiling water to reheat. Remove and shake off any excess water.
6. Put the hot spaghetti squash on a serving platter. Toss with the carbonara sauce or pour the sauce over the top. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with fresh basil leaves.
*Tip: Use the other half of the spaghetti squash for a mock loaded baked potato. Just cook and garnish with butter, sour cream, cheese, and bacon bits. YUMMY!!! :)
Number of Servings: 4
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user BELLASMOMMA.