Vegan Creamy SpreadSubmitted by: NINJEERA
IntroductionThis is very good on crackers or in a veggie sandwich/sub. less water makes it thicker, of course, and thicker IS better here. This is very good on crackers or in a veggie sandwich/sub. less water makes it thicker, of course, and thicker IS better here.
1 cup (or less) nuts soaked 24 hrs. (not peanuts)
1 can any type of beans or chick peas (low sodium)
6 Tbsp nutritional yeast flakes (or more)
2 or 3 Tbsp lemon juice
1 red/yellow or orange bell pepper
1/2 sweet onion
4 tsp Miso
Water: up to 1/2 cup
-Add a bit more water as needed to encourage the nuts to blend. Don't add too much or the result will be too thin.
-It will develop a bit of a cheesier taste the longer it sits in the fridge.
-Chick peas give a more cheese-like colour and taste, but any beans are delicious in this.
-This would be excellent as a dip or spread with crackers, breads, vegetables etc. It would also be good on pasta.
-Adding spices or other veggies is encouraged. Go ahead and experiment!
SparkPeople Sponsored Video
1. Soak the beans/chick peas in a bowl in water (not the water in the recipe) while you do #2 and 3.
2. Place nuts, lemonand 1/4 cup of water in a powerful blender, food processor or the like. Pulse til creamy. Pulse some more.
3. Chop the onion and bell pepper. Add to the nuts. Pulse to incorporate.
4. Drain the beans/chick peas. Add to the mixture. Pulse until all is mixed and very smooth.
5. Add nutritional yeast and Miso. mix to incorporate. Pulse some more, just to make it as creamy as possible.
6. Place in containers in the fridge for a few hours.
Serving Size: this is a double batch. it makes about 3 cups.
Number of Servings: 8
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user NINJEERA.