- Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 303.9
- Total Fat: 14.2 g
- Cholesterol: 96.3 mg
- Sodium: 1,022.9 mg
- Total Carbs: 16.9 g
- Dietary Fiber: 4.2 g
- Protein: 28.8 g
Aunt Flos Cheese and Ground Beef Eggplant CasseroleSubmitted by: BOPPY_
IntroductionIf you serve this to folks (men especially) who don't like casseroles, chances are they will change "their tune"! It certainly did in my family across 3 generations.
Yummy. Eggplant replaces pasta, and tastes better IMHO. If you serve this to folks (men especially) who don't like casseroles, chances are they will change "their tune"! It certainly did in my family across 3 generations.
Yummy. Eggplant replaces pasta, and tastes better IMHO.
1 large eggplant, peeled & sliced
1 large egg, well-beaten
2 T water
3 T vegetable oil (we use canola)
1 lb. extra lean ground beef (we also drain the fat during the first stage of cooking)
2 medium chopped onions
1 clover of garlic, crushed
2 x 8 oz cans of tomato paste
1/2 lb. part skim mozzarella cheese sliced in about 3/16 in slices
1/4 t basil
1/4 t oregano
1 t salt
1/8 t pepper
I entered this on the day I last ate it, and despite having stayed on my calorie regimen for 89 weeks, I has half the casserole; and yes, I'm one of the men in my family that detests "casseroles".
* Dip eggplant slices, covering both sides with egg mixture
* Saute in oil until light brown
* Drain the slices on a paper towel
* Saute beef, onions and garlic in the remaining oil
* Drain the fat. You may even use a paper towel to blot for greater effect.
* Add tomato sauce and seasonings
* Lightly oil 2 qt casserole
* Bake in a pre-heated 350 degree F oven for 35-40 minutes, uncovered
Serving Size: Makes 4 large servings or 6 smaller servings