Apple Onion ChopsSubmitted by: KYLAR_STERN
IntroductionVery little prep, and a savory way to let natural sugars sweeten and moisten your pork chops. Very little prep, and a savory way to let natural sugars sweeten and moisten your pork chops.
2 medium apples
2 small yellow onions
4 pork chops (Nutri info uses 6 oz boneless chops)
2 T olive oil
1/2 T Thyme
Salt and pepper to taste (4 dashes in nutri info)
Really, you can't overdo this in the oven. Let it sit for a while and get the juices and flavors going.
2. Trim any excess fat off the pork chops. Nutritional info uses pork boneless chops since those are the cheapest at Walmart and I'm a broke college student, but these would be even better with a higher cut of meat, prefereably a bone-in option.
3. lightly salt and pepper both sides of chops
4. Heat 1 T of olive oil in a pan, and brown pork chops on both sides. About 3 mins each. We don't need to fully cook them here, just give them a nice sear.
5. Transfer chops to plate and let rest. Chop apples and onion up into cubes at this time.
6. Add apples and onions to roasting pan with rest of olive oil and the Thyme, mix well.
7. Place chops on top of this and pour the delicious accumulated juices from the plate on top of them.
8. Cover, and bake at 350 for 30 mins.
9. Take out and now bury the pork chops under the apples and onions to keep them moist. Cover and put back in the oven for 30-60 mins. It won't over cook with so many natural juices, and the extra time really gets the flavors going.
10. Serve topped with the apple/onion mixture and enjoy!
Serving Size: Makes 4 pork chops with toppings
Number of Servings: 4
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user KYLAR_STERN.